Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chistmas letter 2010

Christmas 2010

Seasons Greetings!

When I first sat to finally write this recap of our year, I found myself stumped as to what to say. All my notes taken during the year to remind me what to include before me, the previous years letters in the their book open beside me, and I had not a clue what to say. Shocking I know! Me, who always has plenty to say or opinions to share, silent. My fingers would sit on the keyboard, unmoving. My mind racing over the past year, and yet nothing would come. And so, I took a walk. I do this often to clear my head (doesn’t work), to regroup my thoughts (and those just wandered). I walked down by the lake, my boots kicking the slushy snow, my mind spinning. And then I heard some kids laughing. Looking around, I saw 4 kids in the park, sliding and laughing as they played in the barely covering the ground snow. They attempted to make snow balls out of the meager bit of fresh powder that had fallen, and amazing enough they ended up with what was nothing more than pebbles, but they had a blast flinging them at each other. As I stood there in my heavy coat and scarf, hiding in the shadows of the giant tree watching the kids play (kinda creepy sounding huh?), I got it. My inspiration. Our Christmas letter.
The past few months I have been beating myself up mentally over the things I have not accomplished this year. I had planned on a big vacation for my kids and I that didn’t happen. I’m not able to provide the boys with their own cars this winter when they turn 16. I didn’t pay off the debt that I want so badly to make disappear. My new furniture I was counting on getting this fall to improve the looks of our home did not become a reality. As I listened to those kids enjoying something as simple as fresh snow, and the glee they have in playing freely, I realized that I was forgetting to appreciate what I had done this year. I was able to take the kids to the beach several times this past year for long weekends, and for Fathers Day weekend the kids surprised me with a already booked hotel room at the coast for a short family getaway. On those weekends we shopped, played, and laughed a lot, and enjoyed being together. I was able to purchase a more reliable family car as the old one was getting more unreliabler (is that word even? If Sarah Palin gets to make one up, then I should get to also I think). Several movies, shopping excursions, and sports events were attended due to a car that could get us all there safely. We were able to eat out more than we should and the bills still got paid on time. We sat on the functional couch many nights together watching movies. We had great times this year as a family, and in looking back, we did a lot, together. Our family unit grew stronger as we spent time in not only cars and hotel rooms, but also several nights a week at the dinner table, where conversation tends to lean towards crude humor, but everyone is free to speak their mind and say what they want. And of course, laugh often. In those moments together, we are all nothing but playing and laughing kids.
The year has been full of exciting (at least to us) things for everyone. July marked my 15th year of managing the store. I never would have guessed all those years ago that when I accepted the position I was embarking on what has turned out to be my life’s career. Cameron and I celebrated our one year anniversary together in September, and I am happy to say that he and I are looking forward to many more milestones together to come our way. I submitted my first novel for publishing, and though it was promptly rejected (upon which the zip drive it was saved on was smashed to bits in a fit of low self esteem moment), at least I can say I finally tried to follow my dream and get something out there for the masses to read. For those interested, my blog is available for free online at: troywaiss.blogspot.com if you want to see unpublished material that my mind and fingers churn out. Disgusting self promotion I know. I have no shame.

Ashley and Brandon continue to live in their log cabin way out in the wilderness. Well…theres trees all around them and I have to drive 15 miles to see them so it’s close enough to the wild. She is building up her clientele at the hair salon each cut, perm, color and wax one at a time. If your in town and need to improve your looks, call her! (See, I will shamelessly promote everyone!) With all she has done this year, perhaps her biggest thrill is showing off her new pink rifle she got this fall. It doesn’t really match her Coach bag, but she loves it the same! She has a big year ahead of her as she turns 21 this coming summer, with many of life’s opportunities and excitement continuing to come her way. A few of the highlights of my year are those nights when she joined us at the table for family dinner or game night. But as she makes that final transformation from child to adult, No matter what, she’ll always be seen as my loud, silly, typical blond little girl.



Kaylee is enjoying her Juinor year and beginning to look ahead to life after high school. College brochures have begun showing up in our mailbox daily, and her teachers have begun pushing the “after high school plan” with each conference or mailing sent home. She just marked her first year of working at the store…ahhh I remember those days. She recently sold her first car and bought a cute Honda Accord, though she has yet to master the stick shift and so HER car sits until she is comfortable. Or until the spare car gives up. Hurry Kaylee! She has continued her love affair with the mall, though when she has to find it herself, it’s a given I will get a teary phone call where the first words are “I’m lost…“ When asked what she wanted included in the letter this year, she just smiled and simply said “Michael”. As Michael is 17, just under 6 foot, and attached to Kaylee at every possible moment, it would be impossible to literally include him. This past year though Michael has become a loved and near constant fixture in our family unit and we are happy Kaylee has found someone who treats her so well and adores her. Michael is whipped.

Justin is this close to the 6 foot mark, though by the time this letter is received chances are he’ll have ate his way past it. He played on the Juinor Varsity soccer team last spring, skied, surfed, and inner tubed on the river this summer, was a proud member of the high school football team for the first time this fall, and is now in the third week of playing Juinor Varsity basketball. He is building a massive entertainment center in his woodworking class, and constructing master pieces in his art design classes that his instructor raves about. This fall he was involved in most Homecoming week events either constructing sets, choregraphing lip syncs, and participating in every event he could. To keep from getting bored, he was just hired at a area ski resort for winter weekends where he will be a parking attendant. Justin will be taking drivers Ed late this winter in between sports seasons. I am looking forward to him driving himself to his various practices and events. He also eats a lot.

Jacob completed drivers ed at the end of summer, and will be a licensed driver this winter if all goes as planned. He discovered the school weight room as a perfect refuge and place to enjoy when not playing soccer, football, or most recently basketball. If a hotel we stayed at had a fitness center, once he made sure the TV had the correct inappropriate shows on it, he’d head down for a work out. He too will be working at the ski resort this winter as a ski check clerk. I’m not sure what that means but I hear check and so I am happy. He’s more excited for the season snowboard pass that’s included in his benefit package. He has a dresser under construction in his woodworking class that is almost as tall as he is and has cost roughly more than his birth did. Like his brother, he had braces put on this fall. He’s hoping when we fly next, they set off the detector, thus causing a pat down and grope courtesy the new TSA rules. Jacob has the distinction of being the kid that has made his father turn red or speechless the most due to twisted comments that come from him. Well done buddy.

This next year, of course I have hopes and dreams for what we can do, see or accomplish. Rather than list them though, I will just be happy with knowing that whatever happens, we’ll be playing and laughing together. We will slip and fall, and get up again. We’ll throw snow pebbles. As a family we will enjoy the fresh and the new, and we’ll be glad for what have. And if someone should be watching from the shadows, well, we hope you can find it within yourselves to join in. Please, come laugh and play with us.

Happy Holidays~

No comments:

Post a Comment