Friday, December 23, 2011

merry christmas 2011


Christmas 2011

Seasons Greetings!

It’s just a phase… We all have phases we go through…this phase will pass…With each stage in life, each milestone we hit, a new phase begins. As I sit here reflecting on our year that has past, a steaming mug of cocoa next to me (no, its not spiked), classical Christmas music playing softly in the background, I choose to acknowledge these new phases in life we all find ourselves in. Enjoy with us please!

And so, I will just jump right in with probably the biggest, yet at same time smallest, bit of news that the Waiss’ get to share. July 21, at 845pm, after keeping us waiting 12 hours…well..plus 9 months, my baby Ashley gave birth to her baby, Ms Macie May Schultz. At just a tiny bit under 8lbs, that little being instantly had everyone in her life (especially the 26 people in the waiting room ) instantly enthralled and in love. Babies are always a good thing, and my first grandchild is an excellent one. As a father, I am so proud of the parent I have helped raise Ashley to be. As a pop-pop, I am excited and encouraged to see Macie so loved by her mom and dad. I even had the privilege of showing Brandon how to change his daughters first diaper, (and laugh as he gagged as it was messy one). The past couple of months have been pure joy as we have all got to be a part of Macies daily life, and get to experience all of her “firsts”. And as the picture on the back of this page shows, when she smiles, she SMILES!! And luckily, its contagious.
And yet, in addition to our family unit growing, we DID do other stuff this year. Several trips to the coast this year were taken- Cameron and I had a great weekend with some good friends with lots of laughs and stories (the chocolate wine MAY have contributed to this), and throughout the year we spent a few weekends there with the kids. Summers end came fast, and I took the kids for a long weekend to explore Seattle. The highlight we all agreed was taking in the sights of the city lights atop the space needle at night. And in October, we celebrated Kaylees 18th birthday at the coast by taking not only her, but 3 of her friends, the twins and their friend, and Ashley, Brandon and Macie joined us too. It was a full house, but an amazingly great weekend, and lots of good memories made. The older and busier the kids get, the harder it is to find time for all of us to share moments together. One of my favorite things still is when all four are sitting at my table for dinner, laughing, sharing their lives, and crude stories (boys), with macie in my lap. Those moments are pure, and love, and it’s a wonderful phase.

Running the store still allows me to provide for my family. After 16 years, I think I’m settled. As with any career, I find myself bored and the challenge just not always there. As I do enjoy my work, this next year I hope to find ways to make it exciting and something new again. I have some ideas I’m tossing around, and will focus on a new phase of grocery retail. Lets hope its beneficial to both the company and my self worth, not to mention my enthusiasm for what truly has been an excellent career choice (well, career-fall-into I guess). Cameron and I continue to make our long distance (46.8miles) relationship work. As not only our work schedules, but the kids’ schedules, the inclement gorge weather, and gas prices work against us at times, we make the best of the time we do get together. He has become a huge fan of Macie (well, I think the fact she’s like a living doll he gets to dress up has something to do with it). And he’s learning to be a sports fan as the twins are involved in something all the time it seems. His 40th and my not-quite 40th birthdays were days apart this November, we celebrated with me surprising him with a trip to Vegas for a few days, where we walked 2000 miles and slept maybe 3 hours in a few days. It was a great getaway, and wonderful recharge (?). Life is defiantly better with someone to share it all with again!


Ashley ruined her 21st birthday (and my plans to take her and Brandon to Vegas) by being 8 months pregnant this past June. I suppose the trade off was worth it, however, as when I see her holding her baby in her arms, and the joy on her face, Vegas has nothing to offer in comparison. As if the baby was not enough, they also adopted a 3 week abandoned kitten in July, Milo does not know he is a cat. Maybe the fact he gets dressed in baby clothes and has a bath on a regular basis…. Brandon made it official this year by presenting Ashley with a beautiful ring, and plans are in the works for a wedding in fall of 2012. If she can just put down Macie long enough to look at a calendar….The kids also moved from their little house on the prairie log cabin in the wilderness to a home in Carson. it’s a bit smaller, but much closer for Brandons work and will be nicer this winter when snow hits. Plus, its on Pop-Pops delivery route at work…Ashley did not return to work in the shop post-birth, but has set up a small work area in her home and has clients (people with bad hair) come to her now on occasion. Brandon is a mechanic for a mill and works very long hours, yet he has become quite good with a video camera, capturing many cute moments for all to enjoy. Diapers are still a work in progress.

Kaylee is on her final stretch of high school. Impossible to believe that the little girl that had so many reading struggles as a child now can claim her first 4.0 semester, is applying to colleges and $scholarships, and is excited to start her career in becoming a businesswoman in the world of coffee shop ownership. As both her parents and their significant others DO love coffee, this could be good…In May, Kaylee called in her fathers promise made years prior to chaperone her junior class trip. For 5 days, we kayaked the Columbia River from just outside of Stevenson all the way to Astoria. The official mile count was 123, the unofficial was 165 miles kayaked. With tent camping (i.e.-outhouses, campfire, no showers) for 4 nights. Though it was “roughing it”, the chance to spend so much time one on one with my soon to move away daughter on the river was an experience I wouldn’t trade. Though the sunburn and stench I picked up…did I mention no showers? Becoming an Aunt was a dream come true for Kaylee, and her niece adores her, as evident by her giggles. Kaylee continues working at the store, and was promoted to cashier this past fall. She loves to work, and the mall loves her to work also. Graduation in June will mark the end of her “kid” phase, and I’m genuinely sad, yet excited (for her) to see it end.

Justin is counting the days (4 as of this writing) when his braces come off. He fell in love with snowboarding last winter as his job at a ski resort allowed him ample time to practice. This summer he worked in the Forest Youth Success program maintaining trails, camping areas, and public forested areas. He discovered long boarding also (big skateboards that apparently don’t work if you WEAR HELMETS!!) Drivers License was obtained also this year, allowing his father the pleasure (fear) of saying “drive yourself!”. He played junior varsity soccer last spring, and is now on the Varsity Basketball team. He was involved in all homecoming planning events again this year, and helped lead his class to a win for the lip sync contest. Working (boarding) at the resort again this winter has started now too. In his free time, he refills his 6’1 frame with Subway and Pizza. He will wrap up his junior year this spring on track to apply for colleges next year that will help him realize his new dream of becoming a doctor of some kind. And for a young man who had never been around babies, to see him holding and playing with his niece you would never know he was afraid to hold one a few months ago.


Jacob has bragging rights as the first Waiss son to get his drivers License this year, though he also has the distinction of being the LAST Waiss son to get his braces off. His love of music exploded this year, as evidenced by his full IPOD and blisters from his earphones being left in when he dozes off. As an active skiing, boarding, soccer ball kicking, basketball shooting teenager, he dozes off often. And ALWAYS in the car when not the driver. I hope. He too worked on the mountain-forest-mountain again. He also acts a mentor of sorts for special needs students, and not only dressed as Santa to deliver food baskets to the needy, but also played the part when recognized by some of the children he helped to feed. His artistic gift came in handy when creating sets for homecoming week this past fall. Becoming an Uncle is probably the only thing that could make Jacob put down his video game controller. No matter what game he’s on, all is put aside with the words “Macie’s here!” Next year will see Jacob become a high school senior and mark the beginning of the end of his childhood “phase”.

And so we look ahead to our next phases. In March, I am excited to relive one of my best experiences ever as I take the three youngest Waiss’ to New York City for a 5 day trip to pre-celebrate Kaylee’s graduation accomplishment coming up in June. Our Times Square hotel makes me excited to see them discover the most fascinating place I have ever been, and I look forward to making Kaylees dream of seeing the city a reality for her special moment in life. Marriage and parenthood will continue to teach Ashley and Brandon joy and pure, unabashed love. Graduation will thrust Kaylee out onto her own, whether a dorm or apartment is her next phase, I am confident her parents did a good job in getting her ready for her own life. The boys will enter their final year of school, and will be held closer as the girls stretch farther away. Cameron and I will sit in the wings, and along with their mom, watch our family grow up and evolve.
As Macie smiles and giggles, I am reminded of just how good life is. Our dear friends and family, It’s just a phase, but it’s a great one!

Cheers~

The Waiss’

No comments:

Post a Comment